Disclaimer: I am a partner in a HubSpot-certified inbound marketing agency. ‘nough said!
Why you should not hire a marketing agency
A lot of B2B HubSpot users find that they don’t have the bandwidth or the expertise to really leverage the platform and produce a strong marketing ROI. Over the past three years I’ve learned many things from some of these companies, so here’s my understanding of why HubSpot customers should not hire a HubSpot-certified inbound marketing agency.
Don’t hire a HubSpot marketing agency because:
- We’re not magicians. We have no rabbits and no black hats (despite the photo above). No turning a sow’s ear into a purse and no sawing bodies in half. We simply don’t do magic. We can’t take your 700 website visits a month and turn them into 20 sales-ready leads. Can’t be done. Not by us. Not by nobody.
- We don’t work for free. Sorry, we’re all professionals and produce great results for our clients — but we don’t work for free. If you can’t afford to add one marketing director to your team, you can’t afford to rent our entire team for the same price.
- We have a strong aversion to unproductive meetings. If you want to schedule long unproductive meetings to discuss tactics and all the reason why you think your tactics are better, you wouldn’t like working with us. We certainly have a lot of meetings, both internally and externally, but we insist that they be productive. And short!
- We need some of your time and energy to make your marketing effective. It takes time to develop a strong partnership and to understand your company. While we’re ramping up, you need to be involved. And then we’ll want to connect with you twice a month on an ongoing basis.
- We insist on using social media. If you think “social media doesn’t fit for my audience” we can re-educate you. But if you’re not willing to pay attention to data-driven results, let’s not spend time talking about them.
- We generate sales-ready leads. If your sales team has all the leads they can handle, that’s awesome! If you’re not looking for additional growth, why are you reading this blog?
- We can’t show you how your Hubspot investment can automatically produce marketing results. I wish it was that easy! But the fact is that effective inbound marketing takes a lot of effort and a lot of different skillsets. We can definitely leverage your Hubpot investment to help generate a real ROI on your marketing, but the software alone is only software — someone needs to write all that content, plan all those campaigns, socialize everything, measure and track everything, send the emails, think of new ways of engaging your audience, plan the marketing for events, and figure out how to make you a thought leader in your industry.
- We love big goals, but they need a solid foundation. Just like a building, fast growth needs a strong foundation. Once that’s in place, we can help you build quickly. If your goal of exponential growth for the year is merely a pipedream, let’s talk about realities. Let’s talk about what CAN be done realistically. Our target is a minimum of 300% annual ROI. If that works for you, we have something to talk about.
So there you have it: 8 great reasons not to hire a marketing agency to support your inbound marketing! How did I come up with those eight ideas? Believe it or not, I’ve heard all of them (several times over) from existing HubSpot customers.
We love working with HubSpot customers because we already share a common language and an understanding of the inbound marketing process. What usually missing is the time and expertise to get all the various pieces of inbound marketing done.
For less than the price of a single marketing director, you can hire an entire agency to work with you to achieve your business goals. Want to know more, let’s talk!