There are a lot of moving parts in a successful public relations program – research, planning, writing, relationship building, pitching, analyzing, and reporting. We wrote this article to shed light on the process and to serve as a guide to building a successful PR program.
The State of PR in 2017
Trying to get media coverage for a company, product or event is more challenging than ever. First, the Interest has spawned hundreds of thousands of media outlets–from a blogger with a large following to major news publications. Second, the competition to reach these writers and journalists is fierce.
This makes PR in the digital age much like marketing in the digital age. When it comes to marketing, you know that if you have a product that solves a real problem, there are people out there looking for it. The challenge is to find them or to help them find you. The same is true with PR–if you have a genuine news story, there is a writer out there that wants to know about it because their readers want to know about it. The challenge is to find the journalists and to help them find you.
- How Digital Marketing Has Changed PR
- Mastering the Media Pitch: Top Journalists Tell you How to get their Attention
- How to Choose a PR Agency
Press Release Best Practices
The press release, the most common deliverable companies use to distribute news to journalists, faces more competition these days, not only from other press releases, but from social posts, blogs, direct email, print and digital ads, and more. While any company can put a press release on a wire service and see it gobbled up and regurgitated by hundreds of media outlets, what we all want is real coverage by real journalists that give companies brands authority and credibility. These articles will help you score big with your next release!
- How to Write an Effective Press Release
- How to Write the Perfect Cover Letter
- The Ultimate Press Release Template
- 5 Reasons Not to Issue a Press Release
- How to Write Pitches Journalists Love (Download)
- How to Score Big With Your Next Press Release
- Choose Your News Wisely – Understanding When Your News Isn’t News
- 5 Reasons Your News Doesn’t Get Picked Up
- 7 Best Practices to Get Your PR Covered and Not Buried
How to Develop Strong Media Lists
Media lists, whether built with media database platforms (Cision, Meltwater, Muck Rack) or home grown, are your gateway to the influencers you want to reach. Building and managing multiple lists for multiple target audiences involves a good deal of sleuthing, with or without a software platform. Here are some tips on how to build lists that you can use for one or more announcement or for entire campaigns.
- What is a Media Database?
- How to Build a Media List with Meltwater
- 8 Best Free Resources for Building a PR Contact List
- PR Databases – The PR Agency’s Secret Weapon
- Journalist Finder – Get Contact Info for 25 Media Contacts Free
PR Database Reviews
Public relations is all about getting press coverage for your company and product, and managing press relationships when good news and bad news happens. With the proliferation of media outlets, knowing who is writing about your industry or business can be extremely challenging. Media database platforms (Cision, Meltwater, Muck Rack) have been created to help. These are platforms that include a database of multiple types of “influencers”–journalists, bloggers, analysts, columnists and more and the “beats” or markets that they cover. Learn more from the articles below.
- PR Databases Quick Review: Cision, Meltwater, and MuckRack
- Meltwater Review: First Look at The New Meltwater Platform
- Meltwater Review: Reaching Beyond Writers to Influencers
- Cision Review: One Stop Shop for PR
- MuckRack Review: Harness Social Media for PR
- 50 Questions you Should Ask Before Buying PR Software (Download)
- Pick Our Brain: Schedule a 30 Minute Exploratory Call Where You Can Ask Us Anything
Wire Distribution Service Reviews
Press release wire services have traditionally been the go-to channel for widespread press release distribution to search engines, top publications, and national newsrooms. The largest service providers for wire releases include PRWeb, PRNewswire, BusinessWire, and MarketWired. Do you need a wire service for your PR program? Depends. Learn more from these articles.
- Wire Services: When to Use or Not Use Them
- Looking for the Best PR Wire Service? Consider this.
- Which PR Wire Service is Right For You
- Search for the Best Press Release Wire Service
Social Media’s Role In PR
Social media is the communication vehicle of choice for many big brands, celebrities, and politicians, and journalists use it too. Used right, social media can be a great way to reach both journalists and your target audiences for marketing. These articles offer some guidance.
- How Social Media is Becoming PR’s Most Valuable Asset
- Twitter Meets Muck Rack – PR Pros and Journalists Trip the Light Fantastic
- How to Pick the Social Publishing Platform for PR
Finding Editorial Calendar Opportunities
Editorial calendars are the guides publications issue to help you know what they want articles about. Other tools like HARO and Muck Rack have features that let journalists pitch PR pros for sources. Learn more from these articles.
Tracking Media Relations With a (Free) CRM
One way to build your own media database is to use your CRM platform for manage and monitor media coverage. HubSpot is what we use. Learn more here.
Trade Show Guides
Typically you have two goals at a trade show–to get new leads and to create buzz around your company or brand. Done right, even small companies can generate plenty of chatter at shows as large as CES, the granddaddy of them all! See our article on that topic and more.
- Trade Show Tips for Startups
- Ban the Booth Babes, Get Qualified Leads at Trade Shows
- How to Prepare for CES with Pre-Show Outreach
- CES Planning Guide: 10 Steps to Securing a Ton of Media Coverage at CES
- Trade Show PR Checklist
Budgeting for PR
Given an unlimited budget, anything is possible. Since no one has an unlimited budget for anything in business, let’s look at how to do more with less.
- PR Tips for Startups with Small Budgets
- Why New PR Should Cost Less than Old PR
- How Much Does it Cost to Send a Press Release
Free White Paper Downloads
Take a deeper dive with an Alaniz white paper.
- How PR Pros Can Be SuperHAROs
- 50 Questions You Should Ask Before Buying PR Software
- Alaniz Guide to Press Distribution
- Ultimate Guide to Trade Show PR
We hope you enjoyed this free ungated resource. If you’re looking for help with PR, please get in touch to set up a 30-minute exploratory call.
- Get Help Building a World Class In-House PR Program
- Get Set Up with the Right PR Technology
- Find Out About Our Press Distribution Programs
- Acquire a DIY Media List
- Get Help with a Trade Show
- Find Out About Customized PR Programs
ASK US ANYTHING
Shoot us a note and we’ll do our best to get back to you!